Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG) - My Journey


Okay for this post, I'll use English as  the medium so that I can help/motivate other people that wants to embark in the same journey. But what exactly is Gastric Sleeve surgery? You can read more about it here. Basically it is to remove a portion of your stomach, about 2/3 of it.


http://www.londonobesitycentre.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/sleeve-gastrectomy-gastric-sleeve-1.jpg

Now I will list down the clinics and units that you will (may need) to go for your journey to Gastric Sleeve surgery. 


1. Endocrine/Surgical Clinic


I was placed under Obesity Program by Endocrine/Surgical Clinic. This is the main clinic that gets the ball rolling.  In several appointments with my surgeon, Dr Siti Zubaidah Sharif, I was still unsure whether I want to do the surgery or not. However after considering my family's views and gaining the confidence from my counselor on May 15, 2014 I told my doctor that I agree to do it. The cost of surgery always worried me but my doctor assured me that all the costs (including tests, the surgery and medications) will be financed by the hospital. For me it was a chance of a lifetime, so I shouldn't  give it up. Thank you Queen Elizabeth Hospital for this opportunity!

There were several clinics/units that I was referred to prior to making my/doctor's decision to go through with the surgery. I have several appointments with all of the clinics/units in several months prior to surgery. These are the clinics and units;

2. Endocrine/Medical Clinic


This clinic looks into the hormone side of obesity. They did blood tests and dismissed Cushing's Syndrome as the cause of my obesity. They however found out that I have slightly high cholesterol and prediabetes. I was given simvastatin 20 mg to control my cholesterol level and to avoid sugars.

3. Dietetic Clinic


This is where I learned what food are good and what food are bad for me. Learned portion control, calories, and  writing daily food intake in food diary. Now my dietitian is Ms. Beh Woan Pyn. She has been since November 2014 until now. 

4. Respiratory Clinic


A clinic to look at our respiratory system. This is important for a safe surgery. My sleep study was done on January 31, 2014. The test was quite easy, we just go to sleep with all of the wires attached to us. The room itself was very comfortable, a queen size bed with a small television.  My test result showed that I have mild sleep apnea.


Me on the night of the Sleep Study

5. Physiotherapy Unit

I was placed under Obesity Program to help me lose weight. They taught me some exercises to do myself at home. My weight officially recorded here when my weight loss journey began. My first physiotherapist was Mrs. Mary and my second physiotherapist was Mr. Zahin. They helped me a lot, mentally and physically.

6. Psychology and Counseling Unit

The counselor  here (Farhana) really listened to my problems, my worries and my goals. Really helped me in making my decision of doing the surgery.



TOWARD MY LAPAROSCOPIC SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY 

Dr Siti told me that an empty slot to do the surgery is available in June 2014. But because of Ramadan that fell starting in the end of June and  Hari Raya Aidilfitri  (Eid al-Fitr) that starts in the end of July I asked her to do the surgery after Hari Raya celebration. Hence my surgery was scheduled on August 20, 2014. After celebrating Hari Raya, I was admitted to Queen Elizabeth Hospital 2 on August 6, 2014 for pre-op diet control and physiotherapy. When I was admitted I weigh 152.3 kg (335.7 lbs) with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 51.1.

Me on August 6, 2014

At the hospital I have blood tests, x-ray of the chest and ultrasound of the abdomen. All of this is important for my upcoming surgery so that the percentage of success will be as high as possible. On August 12, I have my worst birthday ever when I went for Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGDS) procedure that day. This could be the worst thing you'll go through, not that it was painful but it was very, very uncomfortable. However what made my day was listening to Katy Pery's "Birthday" song on the ambulance after the procedure. I just went through something terrible and I can't stop smiling when I heard the song. At night, my brother Irzan and Ben brought me to Sabah Oriental Hotel for my birthday dinner. What a relief to left the "prison" for just a little while. I ate Mee Goreng Mamak and it was SO GOOD...

On August 13, 2014 my doctor told me that they must postpone the surgery because of the second surgeon couldn't make it because of schedule clash. When I was discharged I weigh 144 kg (317.5 lbs) and a BMI of 48.4. In just a week I have lost a total of 8.3 kg (18.3 lbs)!

Me on August 13, 2014



On October 23, 2014 Dr Siti had informed me that my surgery is scheduled on November 28. From the day I know my surgery date I listed down everything that I wanted to eat before being admitted to the hospital again on November 19, 2014. Usually I have a cheat day per week, but prior to my surgery I have CHEAT WEEK! Two whole weeks of eating, eating and eating. People who is considering doing the procedure please don't be like me. Yeah you'll be happy you have the food but the guilt always creep on you.

On November 19, 2014 I was sent to the hospital by Ben. I was torn between being happy, worry and all sort of emotions going to the hospital. I was admitted in Room 203, Bed B, Surgery Extension Ward, Queen Elizabeth 2 Hospital, Kota Kinabalu. 


When I weighed in, I was 136.6 kg (301.2 lbs) and BMI of 45.9. I was very happy when for the first time, I can fit into hospital patient's clothes.

Happy me!
The nurse is preparing for my ECG


The very first test given to me was an electrocardiogram (ECG) which is a test that records the electrical activity of the heart. My test result showed normal healthy heart hahaha.





Nine days prior to surgery, I was on strict 800 kcal per day diet. My physiotherapy was intense, exercising like crazy as I was being pushed by my physiotherapist there, Ms. Noi.


Some of the equipment I used in Physiotherapy Unit at QEH2


After multiple blood tests and scans, the day of my surgery came so fast. Nearing my surgery date, my doctor asked me to look for blood donors for at least two pints for my upcoming operation. It was quite stressful as I was alone in the hospital having to manage blood donation for myself. Thank you to abang Irman and Jarin with his JPAM colleagues that came through for my aid.


Abang Irman donating his blood. It was his first time!


The evening before my surgery I was transferred to another ward (Kenanga 7B, Room 5, Bed 28), a ward especially for pre and post operative patients.




My stay here I was pretty much alone. I never needed anyone to assist me prior to the surgery. However a lot of my gratitude for abang Irman that have spent a lot of his time coming to the hospital, attending to my every need. Not forgetting Irzan and Ben for their support!

To be continued... 

3 comments:

  1. Gastric sleeve surgery, also called sleeve gastrectomy is a surgical weight-loss procedure in which the stomach is reduced to about 25% of its original size.
    Dioms is a best Surgical hospital in delhi. its has a team of trained healthcare professionals who provide excellence in standards of sleeve gastrectomy surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog, Gastric sleeve is very popular weight loss surgical operation option. Gastric Banding,Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery is aimed at reducing the stomach’s capacity for food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic information about sleeve gastrectomy Melbourne. Thank you for sharing this useful information.

    ReplyDelete