Wednesday, May 13, 2015

VSG - My Journey 2 (The Surgery)


WARNING! THIS POST CONTAINS ACTUAL PHOTOGRAPHS OF MY SURGERY. READER'S DISCRETION IS ADVISED.



For readers that missed the first part, here's the link. Okay lets continue with my journey to surgery. Days leading to my surgery many of my family members came to visit which was a pleasant surprise where I always stressed that I was okay by my own, not that I was bed bound. Thanks to all of you who have came to visit me here :)

Top left: Pakcik Ajamain and Bongsu Rosnah; Top Right: Irzan right before his flight to KL; Bottom left: Anam and Azam (abang Irman's son - they always came) and Bottom Right: Kak Amy


I don't go through liquid diet as other people in other countries. My diet was pretty much normal but strictly 800 kcal per day. The hospital prepared everything that I drank and ate from the day I was admitted (November 19, 2014) up until the day before my surgery. Thank you to my lovely dietitian (Ms. Beh) that always hear my wishes in term of food. This was my last dinner on November 27, 2014;

Curry fish with stewed eggplant with plain oat.

After dinner, I was asked to bath with a special soap (I don't know what it was called, clear pink in color). I then were told to start fasting (no drinking and eating) from 12 midnight of November 28. I wrote a letter (a will if you will) to myself, my family and friends. Having no one besides me really making me miss my late mom more. IV drip was connected when I started fasting so that the veins keep open in preparation for the surgery. I don't have a very good sleep, just having too much things going through my mind.

And the morning of my surgery came. I was asked to bath with the special soap again. After shower I was asked to put on hospital gown. I was all alone because abang Irman was in Lingkungan, Beaufort for his in-law's kenduri (thanksgiving). The evening before, one doctor told me that my surgery was the third one in the morning so I thought I can still meet up with my family members before going to the operation theater. And to my surprise, I was the first one up! I really don't have any time to say goodbye because the nurse asked me to turned off my phone. I told her I need to send one whatsapp message to my family: "Mau masuk dewan bedah sudah aku... Bah doakan ya..." (I'm going to the operation theater... Pray for me). Reading that message again really stirred something in my heart. How lonely was I that time... After sending the message, I turned my phone off and gave it and my wallet to the nurse for safe keeping. I found out afterward that my family members rushed to the hospital after receiving my message.

Me on admission day Vs. Me on surgery day


I was wheeled to the operation theater on 2nd floor using a stretcher. I forgot to mention that we must signed several papers leading to surgery; consent document for the surgeon, consent document for the anesthesiologist, paper of safe keeping our belongings and document of confirming who we are in the operation theater holding room. My surgery weight was 130.5 kg (287.7 lbs) which means I have lost a total of 41.6 kg (91.7 lbs) since the start of my weight-lost journey in October 14, 2013.

I was quite nervous  while waiting before being wheeled into the operation theater. I kept praying to God for a safe operation ahead. Then the time came, and I was wheeled in. The operation theater was large with a lot of people inside, they all were preparing for the surgery. There were doctors, nurses, anesthesiologists and maybe documentation team to record the surgery. When I laid on the operation table, so much thing were happening all around me. Some people were adjusting the TV monitor, some were attaching wires all over and some were just standing there being ready. They made me as comfortable as possible and the anesthesiologist checked my mouth and neck for a clear airway. They said all clear and don't have to put in breathing tube while I am awake. What a relief!!! After a small chit chat, the anesthesiologist told me; "Now we'll put you to sleep", showed me the syringe, and I thought like in the TV show I would be asked to count backward but no such thing, and then BLANK! The drug worked so fast that I just went to sleep.


The Surgery: LAPAROSCOPIC  SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY

(WARNING CONTAINS ACTUAL SURGICAL PROCEDURE PHOTOGRAPHS. READER'S DISCRETION IS ADVISED)

My stomach was filled with gas so that the surgery can be done

Dr Siti and her colleagues performing my surgery

My stomach pouch is being stapled

Pulling out the removed stomach pouch

The removed stomach pouch. Looks like a sausage.


Alhamdulillah, my surgery went so well. My surgery started at 9 a.m. and ended at 11 a.m. Only two hours to do the procedure. My doctor told me and my family in the recovery unit that my liver shrunk so much that the operation was so easy to do. Thank you Dr Siti for your dedication to me. Only God can repay all the help that you have given me.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment